No matter how much we cherish that Ruby Roo Mac lipstick, it comes with an expiration date! We must apply the same spring cleaning logic to our make up that we do to our homes. Using cosmetics beyond their prime leaves you susceptible to skin irritation and eye infections.
Although not required, many brands place the number of months you have before they are no longer usable on their products. If you’re anything like me, moving speedily through your morning and evening regime, that tiny number get’s overlooked. Using a permanent marker to boldly write the reminder soon after the product has been purchased works best for me.
I’ve compiled a list of common products along with the usage life.
When To Toss:
3 – 6 Months: Mascara, Liquid Liner and Facial Creams.
1. SEPHORA COLLECTION Outrageous Volume Mascara – $12.00
2. Guerlain Liquid Eyeliner – $40.00
3. CLINIQUE Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief – $38.50
6 Months – 1 Year: Acne Cleanser and Foundation
4. philosophy Clear Days Ahead™ Oil-Free Cleanser – $22.00
5. NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation – $48.00
1 – 2 Years: Long Lasting Eyeliner, Lipstick and Nail Polish
6. bareMinerals Lasting Line Long-Wearing Eyeliner – $16.00
7. Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick – $21.00
8. NAILS INC.Perfect Pink – $14.00
Here is a few additional rules to consider:
- If its consistency and/or smell has changed, toss it!
- Storing some products in a cool, dry place can extend their lifetime
- Sanitize the brushes used with products every so often or after every use if used on others
- If it’s a 100% Organic and all natural product, it will expire faster, they have no preservatives
Along with not harboring old beauty products, you should also replace or clean your make-up bag, as it to is also a host for bacteria and germs.
Cleaning out your make-up bag is not just a spring season task. As women, this is something we should do at least 4 times per year. Once every season. We all have our favorite go-to products that we never want to part with. But why run the risk of a bacterial infection when you can simply replace the out-dated product.