Let’s face it Empirelistas, things come up unexpectedly all the time, “situations” are inevitable! From unexpected car maintenance to the loss of a job or the break-up of a long-term relationship, things will happen. How you handle these situations says a lot about your character and how you come out of each situation.
For instance, being prepared to buy a new tire when you get a flat is much easier to handle if you have money set aside for this unexpected event. Versus not having the resources to get a new tire which will force you to either borrow the money from a friend or relative or go without a car for a while. Although the situation is the same in both scenarios, a flat tire, but the first scenario is just a bit more manageable since you acted proactively by having set aside for unexpected situations. As hectic as getting a flat tire is (yes, I’ve had a flat on more than one occasion!), it will be a lesson learned, you’ll either put the funds aside for next time if you didn’t initially, or you’ll pat yourself on the back and continue contributing to your rainy day fund going forward.
Of course, being proactive extends beyond just being able to buy a new tire when you get a flat. Acting proactively instead of reacting will not only make most situations easier to navigate, it will also help you plan for and understand your long-term goals because you’re thinking about “if this happens, what will I do?” before situations occur. You’ll also have more flexibility by thinking about the “what if’s” now, because you are able to choose the best option or resolution early on rather than being forced to do something at the last minute which may very well be your only option. Proactive people tend to be more relaxed, prepared, and positive due to the precautionary steps that they’ve taken for potential “situations”. They have more control over their future.
Being reactive usually forces you take situations as they are and to fix them with minimal time and resources. Decisions are usually made without sufficient understanding of the facts and circumstances resulting in the potential for more problems. Contrary to proactive people, reactive people are usually unorganized, unprepared, and frantic since they usually haven’t considered the possibility of unexpected “situations” and the implications they have on their well-being and the Empire they’re trying to build. They have limited control over their future.
Here are a few other benefits of being proactive for you to consider as you build your Empire:
- Be more prepared for situations – You’re thinking about what could happen today to avoid chaos tomorrow, sort of like an insurance plan! You have a succession or back up plan in place just in case you lose your job or didn’t get the promotion you were expecting.
- Saves time and money – You’re putting in the work and effort now to save time and money by preparing for the unexpected problems now instead of at the last minute.
- Alleviates problems or issues before they happen – You’re able to uncover potential problems or conflict and minimize your exposure to it. For instance, there are certain environments or people that you know you can’t tolerate (negative people, biased critics, or “haters”) so you refrain from or minimize your contact with these people or places.
- Recognizes a need for change – As you’re thinking ahead, you may realize there are things that you could change for the better. You see yourself as a business owner in the future so you’re making moves today to increase your skill set and networking with people already running businesses.
- Fosters creativity and change – You’re willing to step out of your comfort zone to make things work. Since you see the big picture (#8), you understand that there are things that need to be done now to ensure you stay on track with your long-term goals. Sometimes this means trying something new. You may be a salon owner which has typically been a cash-basis business, but to fulfill the needs of your clients and to keep up with the world of plastic (credit cards), you now accept credit card payments via card readers (even on cell phones).
- Allows for flexibility – Being proactive gives you more options because you are considering things before they happen. You know what kind of business you plan to start so you’ve already began looking for potential spaces in areas with demand for your product or service.
- Self-improvement and awareness – As you are contemplating the “what if’s”, you realize things about yourself that you’ve become accustomed to unknowingly. If you’re always late, you’ll start breaking this habit and start projects earlier.
- Sees the big picture and understand long-term goals – Acting proactively means that you are forward-looking. You’ve changed your eating habits and workout routine because you’re aiming for a healthier and happier you. You’re a representation of a positive change to your colleagues or employees within your Empire.
- Clearer directions for your future – Sitting back and waiting for things to happen is not an option, there’s a path that you’ve drawn out and you’re sticking to it. You’re not in the position at work that you want today but you know where you’re planning to go and how you plan to get there.
- Peace of mind – You’re happy with where you are and where you are going because you have an idea of what is coming. It’s easier to sleep at night when you have a plan for the morning.
These are just a few of the benefits of being proactive instead of reactive. Proactively thinking and being is forward-looking which helps you see and plan for life and all the unexpected “situations” that come up as you build your Empire.